Delivering Custom Email Messages to iPhone and iPod Touch Users
A friend recently asked me if there was a way to target an email for the iPhone, but still display normally for other clients. My response was initially “no”, but after further thought I realized that there is a way to display a sort of customized email specifically for iPhone/Ipod touch users.
To do so requires a little ingenuity, in the form of a php app (downloadable below) and the following steps:
- Add an image to your html, preferable the one your going to use as your targeted iPhone message.
- Remove any width, height, and alt tags from the above tag. You want this image to be as non-descript as possible when it displays to non-iPhone users.
- Next, apply an image map to your image.
- When your done with step 3, replace the src of the image with “iphone.php?file=yourfilename.gif”. ‘file’ is the only variable that iphone.php accepts. If you don’t specify it, it will return a blank gif. “yourfilename.gif” refers, of course, to the image you want iPhone users to see.
Your image tag should look something like this now:
<img src=”http://www.YourDomain.com/iphone.php?file=yourfilename.gif” border=”0″ usemap=”#iphonemap”>
- Now just make sure that the image you are referencing is in the same folder as the ‘iphone.php’ file (or that you’ve put the right path to it).
- and your done!
Now when you send your campaigns, iPhone users can receive a custom email/message with multiple clickthrus!
Note: I haven’t done a thorough test of this among multiple email clients. I can only confirm that it works well with Thunderbird and the iPod Touch.
If you have any issues or suggestions with these files, please leave a comment below.
(Zach Biles iPhone Targeting…..sounds better than ZIT =) ).